Fancy Food New Product Launch and Packaging
+ Package Design + Branding
New Product Go-to-market Strategy
Package Design, and Brand development
Develop a new brand to compete at a lower price point in the Asian Specialty Food category for grocery
+ 250% Revenue
- New brand offering for established Fancy Food BrandChallenge – Develop a new brand to compete at a lower price point in the Asian Specialty Food category for grocery
- After a highly successful launch of chinablue, Target, Safeway, and Whole Foods wanted a specialty product that could be sold at a lower price point.
- Selling a lower price point version under the chinablue name would have devalued the brand.
- A lower-price product would increase revenue and margin.
- The challenge was to create a line of Shanghainese products that maintained the quality chinablue was known for but would appeal to a mass-market consumer
- Shanghai Basics was born. The name evoked the mystique of Shanghai.
- The products delivered the basic essential sauces for every home-cooks Asian pantry.
- Co-developed recipes for a line of 9 SKUs to include sauces, oils, and dressings.
- Led design team to bring the brand to life through, logo, packaging, and collateral materials.
- Tripled overall company sales and increased revenue by 250%.
- Strong initial orders from Safeway and Whole Foods
- Picked up for sale by the largest, most prestigious national Fancy Food Distributor.
- Used in food service concepts @ Marshal Fields and other specialty retailers.
Created Brand ID to communicate power and simplicity.
- Tagline: Everyday Indulgence
- Premium ingredients, upscale brand ID with an everyday price point.
- Collateral, Direct Mail, Word-of-Mouth Referral Campaign
- PR launch
- Distributor training and activation plan
- Cooking class tour
Experience & Creative Process
Challenge – Develop a new brand to compete at a lower price point in the Asian Specialty Food category for grocery
Through this proprietary process, we were able to dive deep into the challenge and find unique solutions to enhance the consumer experience.
Everyday Indulgence. Evoking the mystique and exotic flavors of Shanghai and inspired by classic family recipes, Shanghai Basics was born.
Using the Experience Design process, we helped the brand find a unique voice.
The brand story was the founder’s story of childhood memories of growing up in Shanghai during the time of the cultural revolution. Food became difficult to come by and family dinners became more and more creative. These were the recipes of that time, simple and accessible but filled with flavor.
Hands-on Training & Cooking Classes
Through cultural training and hands-on experiences with the product – buyers and store personnel were able to cook and taste the food made with these sauces. This connected the story to the flavors to the food, making it easy for staff to recommend the product.
“Everyday Indulgence” Cooking Class Tour
Since the founder’s story was so compelling we set up a 40-stop tour. The tour included guest appearances by the founder and a hands-on cooking class, teaching consumers how to easily cook a fabulous Chinese meal at home.
The Everyday Indulgence Brand positioning played a part in this by sharing recipes that could be made in 15 – 30 minutes.
Experience & Marketing Process
By telling the Founder’s story we were able to create a brand alive with the flavors of Shanghai at a price point that made it possible to enjoy a little Everyday Indulgence.
Listen & Learn
Fact from Fiction
Intentional Operational & Marketing Theme
Inspect, Measure & Refine
The process was perfect for drawing out the history, the precious memories and high-quality ingredients based on old family recipes. The new product launch, and brand positioning, really saved the day. We went from stagnating sales to a 250% increase in sales immediately after launch. Amazing.
Let’s create something extraordinary!